My blog has been languishing lately for lack of acceptable photos to post. As an art blogger I feel like I can't post anything unless I have a photo to go with the post, but my artwork has all been in awkward stages and my photo sessions have not been very successful of late. The other day I tried to take photos of some of my artwork on the day that I had my eyes dilated. Needless to say, those photos did NOT come out well! LOL!
For several months now I have been working on artwork in a raspberry, lime, plum color scheme. I've been trying to use the same basic materials in each piece so that they are part of a series, but I have not been trying to make each piece similar to any other piece. Frankly I'm getting sort of tired of working with the same materials over and over again, but at the same time the ideas just keep on coming. Money is really tight in my world right now so I'm also trying to play with ways to make the most of the materials I have. Ways to use every scrap. Sometimes I think this way of thinking holds me back since I feel like I have to a use what I already have. But it is so easy to fall prey to the idea that a new art supply or tool will magically cause me to make amazing, inspired art. Anyway, working in a series has proven to be a very productive approach for me.
The piece above is made from leftover backing paper from painted Wonder Under, and stained newspaper that have been woven together. I used t-shirt transfer paper to add a word cloud to the surface and then I added a swipe of pearlescent white paint and splatters of white gesso. Earlier in this process I had created a "fabric" from little scraps of other fabrics that I quilted in spirals and then cut into piece that I finished with a blanket embroidery stitch. I added these squares with glue and stitch and then added a few finishing embroidered motifs. Then I mounted the whole things on a painted canvas background.
This piece is also made of woven papers. Specifically embossed wallpaper and fabric paper that I made of all sorts of materials. I stitched purple organza flowers over the top and added the quilted bottom portion and a border.
I have some plans for this series is I can make a few dreams come true. There are several other pieces in the series but some of them aren't finished yet. More photos to come!